This page aims to summarise how, as a school community, Kirkham St Michael’s helps its students to develop “British Values”.
As a school, we embrace the Government’s definition of British Values:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect
- Respect for those with different faiths and beliefs
As a school we believe that we are developing and nurturing these values within the context of our Christian values by:
- Acknowledging that all human beings are unique and special and of equal value in our regular worship and assemblies.
- Having a pastoral system that ensures all individuals are known and cared for within a family ethos.
- Having a well-structured, timetabled Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship education programme which includes issues related to democracy and the rule of law.
- Having a strong Religious Education programme throughout both Key Stages which includes the study of other religions and emphasises our key values of tolerance, compassion and service.
- Effective and well-managed School Council team with representatives from all year groups enabling students to actively participate in the democratic process.
- A broad and balanced curriculum which addresses many of these core values across a range of subject areas.
- Having a clearly communicated and consistently applied Anti-Bullying Policy and a Behaviour Policy, so that students understand what is expected of them and the consequences of both meeting and failing to meet these expectations.
- A rewards system that recognises positive contributions in school and celebrates success.
- Adopting restorative approaches, where possible, to resolve any difficulties between members of our school community and emphasizing the importance of forgiveness.
- Having a rigorous commitment to student safety (for example: trips and visits policy and procedures, Safeguarding procedures, and Health and Safety procedures).
- A varied extra-curricular programme that provides a broad range of opportunities outside the curriculum to develop individual talent and contribute to school life.